What is a Houston TX Lawyer?
A Houston TX lawyer must be qualified to practice within the state of Texas and will usually specialize in any numerous type of law. The city of Houston is home to a large law community—both in the educational and professional settings—and the area is also inhabited by a large, diverse population. Some lawsuits are more common than others in and around the Houston area, and certain types of law are practiced more and more around the Houston area and state of Texas as well.
Where is Houston TX?
The city of Houston is located in the Eastern part of Texas and sits right primarily close to the Gulf of Mexico. The eastern parts of the city lie within very close proximity to Pasadena and the Galveston Bay which then empties into the Gulf. Many busy interstates pass through Houston like I-10, I-610, and I-45 which runs all the way down to the Gulf.
Law Schools in and outside Houston
The city of Houston TX is also home to three of the state’s nine accredited law programs. The following law schools are in the city of Houston:
• University of Houston Law Center
• South Texas College of Law
• Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law
The highest ranked school within the city of Houston is the South Texas College of Law, but the state is home to many other law schools. If you are looking for a Houston Texas lawyer who received their education within the state of Texas as well, you’ll want to look for the above law schools and the law schools below:
• University of Texas School of Law
• Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
• Texas Wesleyan University School of Law
• Texas Tech University School of Law
• St. Mary’s University School of Law
• Baylor Law School
Houston TX Lawyer : What types of lawsuits are common around the Houston area?
Like any other large metropolitan area, the city of Houston TX sees a large variety of different lawsuits and litigations. However, certain cases are more common than others because of the city’s characteristics and some of Texas’s unique demographics. Some of the following lawsuits, litigations, or types of Houston Texas lawyer are often common around the area:
1) Securities- Because the state of TX is home to a great amount of oil wealth, there are a great amount of Houston Texas lawyer who specialize in securities law.
2) Drug Lawsuits- Houston is close to the Gulf of Mexico and receives a huge amount of drug traffic.
3) Insurance Litigation- Within the last decade, the state of Texas and has faced a large number of insurance fraud cases. A majority of these cases involved a citizen plaintiff in prosecution against an insurance company.
4) Product Liability Litigation- the state has seen a large number of product liability lawsuits in the last decade as well.
5) Car Accidents and Truck Accidents- The city of Houston has a huge population, and many of the highways are often very busy throughout the day and evening. The city also sees a large number of grand theft auto cases.
What major lawsuits have happened around the state of TX?
Within the last decade, the state of Texas—and even Houston in some cases—has seen a huge number of major lawsuits and settlements. A list of all these major lawsuits is located on the Texas Attorney General’s official website and each case is described in detail. The following companies have been involved in major lawsuits in Texas within the last decade, and you may still be entitled to compensation:
• A&E Investments
• Abell Mediation Inc.
• Ad Telamerica Inc.
• Advance Internet
• American Design & Builders Inc
• American Heritage Life Insurance
• Ameriquest Mortgage Settlement
• Austin Credit Doctor
• Body Solutions
• Household Finance
• Houston Car Dealerships
• IFC Credit Corporation
• Kaweah Indian Nation Inc.
• Life Time Fitness
• Main Optical
• Protective Life Insurance
• Purdue Pharma
• RadioShack Corp.
• Redux Beverages
• Resource Life
• Rosenberg Motel Operator
• Second Chance Body Armor
• Select Medical
• Service Life
• SONY BMG Spyware
• Sprint Nextel
• State Farm
• Sun Country Travel
• SWWC Utilities
• The Actor’s Place
• St. Anthony Hotel
• U.S. Money Reserve/U.S. Rare Coin and Bullion Reserve
• United States Purchasing Exchange
• Warranty USA
For a specific explanation of each case, you should again visit the Texas Attorney General’s official website. Here you find a number of resources including litigation specificities, statute of limitations information for certain cases, and more.
What are good resources to find a Houston TX lawyer?
One of the best resources for finding an appropriate Houston TX lawyer is your friends, coworkers, family, or other peers. These sources can usually refer you to a Houston Texas lawyer if they were involved in a similar case, and they can even provide you with information you might need before you even go in and talk with the Houston Texas lawyer.
Another good resource involves starting with this website. If you are looking for a specific law, you can simply type in the “search tab” at the top of the homepage. Additionally, you can click on the “Find an Attorney” tab at the top of the homepage and then scroll down to the bottom of the next page to click on the city of Houston. You can ask a free question and have it answered by a Houston Texas lawyer.
Houston also has a large number of different lawyer associations. Since the city is quite diverse, there are a number of associations directed toward specific ethnicities as well. Some valuable lawyer associations in the Houston TX area might include:
• Houston Bar Association
• Houston Lawyers Association
• Hispanic Bar Association of Houston
• Asian American Bar Association of Houston
• Mexican American Bar Association of Houston
• Houston Young Lawyers Association